Sunday, September 26, 2010

Vintage Argyle Patterns!


Back before the Doctor Who scarf really got underway, I mentioned that one of the ladies from Thursday Night Knitting Group had passed along the argyle sock and tie patterns she had used years ago. No dates are included on the patterns, but I estimate they are from the early 1950s, which would make them 50-60 years old. I am excited to announce that I've finally finished digitizing them so that you can get your argyle on, too!

Note that I am not the author of these patterns—I have included all text from the original patterns exactly as written, along with a few editorial notes for clarification purposes. All patterns include charts which were scanned directly from the original patterns and are included as images. Also included are the lists of color combinations in the original kits, which make for interesting suggestions, perspective or both.

As of posting, I haven't knit from these yet either, though I plan on embarking on some argyle socks soon. If you get to it before I do, let me know—I'd love to workshop on how to make these patterns better. One glaring omission in both cases is the lack of listed yardage requirements, as they were sold as part of kits including yarn to complete the pattern, I'd love to be able to add that information at some point.

Without further ado, here's the patterns:
  • Argyle, Plaid and Block Sock Patterns (pdf, 190K) - Published by Bernat as part of the Bernat Meadowspun Sock Pak, this includes a specific instructions for following included Argyle, Plaid or Block pattern charts, all of which feed into general heel and foot instructions that allow for size adaptation by length. Original pattern was printed on front and back of a sheet of 8½ by 14 paper, which I was not able to scan as a single image, and so only typed version with images lifted from scans.
    • To make argyle socks, print pages 2 and 4 (general notes page 1 optional)
    • To make block or plaid socks, print pages 3 and 4 (general notes page 1 optional)
  • Argyle Tie Pattern (pdf, 181K) - No publisher listed on the pamphlet, but it appears the bottom of it was cut off. The pattern makes an adult tie at a finished full length of 49½ inches. The original pattern as it came to me measures about 7½ by 11 inches, so can be printed on regular paper. Both direct scans of the original pattern and a typed version formatted for easier reading available.

No comments:

Post a Comment