Friday, August 13, 2010

Doctor Who Scarf Day 4: 88.5" and Waiting for the Other Shoe

As of sometime last night, the scarf is more than halfway done! Thursday is Knitting Night, so it's not unexpected that it was productive time, though not as productive as it could have been, since I forgot one of my needles and needed to wait for someone else to show up with a spare #8. Quite productively, I spent this waiting time doodling on the little whiteboard that lives in my bag for tutoring and stacking as much of my stuff on my head as I could.

I have a longstanding belief that most things are worth trying on as a hat. Here is a partial list of things that I have worn as a hat:
  • colander
  • CD spindle cover
  • CD spindle
  • skeins of yarn
  • corn husks
  • dictionaries and other untold numbers of books of varying sorts
  • egg carton
  • watermelon with a pineapple topper
  • tinfoil (one has to try it at least once)
  • trash can
  • cat
  • flower pot (with and without flower)
  • flip flop
  • bread box
  • white board
  • and a cast of thousands...

I suppose I'm happy to think of myself as someone who wears many hats, but this wasn't exactly what I meant. Maybe I've been preparing myself for a varied life since a very young age by trying on any hat I could find. Even the ones that aren't really hats.

The other exciting thing about knitting last night was that one of the older members brought me the argyle sock pattern that she used to knit from years and years ago, which I've been digitizing over a large portion of today, and will be making available for free once it's all sorted out. It also includes patterns for plaid and block patterned socks and an argyle tie pattern. More about those soon. For now, back to Doctor Who-ville!

1 comment: