Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Doctor Who Scarf Day 2: 50" and a Cup of Tea

Because the yarn didn't arrive until rather late on Monday, and because there was other important preliminary work to be done before actually starting (i.e. rerolling skeins, tweaking gauge, and, apparently, making spreadsheets), yesterday was the first real chance to take her out on the road and see what she can really do. It seems that my baseline estimate of a foot per day really is a baseline, because I knit a yard on Tuesday.

I'm just going to take a moment to imagine a knitted yard. Not the measurement, but yard as in green space adjacent to a building. With knitted shrubs and knitted flowers and a knitted barbecue. Possibly, knitted croquet or badminton. This is making me think that there isn't quite enough knitted animation around - it's interestingly close to Lego in its ever-extending pixellation of the world, possibly at a higher resolution. Imagine the games: Knitted Batman, Knitted Rock Band, Knitted Indiana Jones, Knitted Star Wars. Then again, I guess Little Big World, with its stitchling protagonist, wasn't actually all that far off. I'll stick with my visualization of a diorama and think through how I could follow through on knitted animation. If Blu can make the walls and streets come alive with animated graffiti, there has to be some direction here for me. (That was mostly an excuse to link that amazing piece).
Here's a couple of short n' sweet knitting-related animations:
If I continued at this rate, I'd be done in another three days. Do I think that's what will actually happen? Probably not. I suspect that I could reasonably up my pace estimate to two feet per day, though, which sets me done sometime on Sunday. Still, being 35% done with the project two days in is a pretty good deal

1 comment:

  1. Those are some of the best videos I've seen on YouTube in a long time!

    ReplyDelete