Monday, August 3, 2009

Waiting on D-Day

Big plans are afoot for tomorrow!

Originally, I was just going to dye one skein of yarn, but it seemed silly to get the whole setup going for one skein (though, for reasons which must remain top-secret at the moment, it would have been worth it). So I'm going to try a couple of things all at once.

I'll be using a combination of Jacquard acid dyes and Kool-Aid. The theme started as plum and walnut, in honor of colors that look as good together as they taste (mmm...Liberté Mediterranée yogurt), but I think I'm going to try and conjure a rich peachy orange from some Kool-Aid, and may make a last minute run to Webs for something green in the morning.

In addition to the skein of handspun originally on the docket, I'll be dyeing some yarn I've already harvested, some of which is starting from a baby blue, some from a pastel yellow, some tan. I'm also going to try dyeing some sweaters which I plan to dismantle, so that the color patterns will be more tied into how it looks knit up.

I'm still pretty new to the dyeing thing, but figure the best way to learn more about it is just to do it. I also have The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook along for guidance, which feels a little like hanging out in the kitchen with folks who know what they're doing (which is really the best way to learn something like this), while still presenting their how-tos in a direct, no-nonsense way.

We'll see how it all goes tomorrow. Oh, will there be pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment